Explore Island of Hawaii
If you've ever wanted to sip a tropical drink on a sunny beach, swim in a rainforest pool, explore an active volcano and even go skiing, all in the same vacation - Hawaii Island is the island for you. The largest of Hawaii's islands offers a staggering wealth of experiences for every taste, a variety to which many travelers find themselves returning, year after year.
Kilauea, the volcano that shaped this unique island, is currently active. Visitors can hike or drive up to the steaming crater, or head down to the sea to watch the billowing clouds created when flowing magma hits cool ocean waters. Ancient lava fields cover miles of the island, creating a unique landscape perfect for a day's drive, and the rich volcanic soil of the island makes the island's interior a patchwork of farms and plantations - don't leave before picking up your own bag of locally-grown and roasted Kona coffee!
Our 5 Favorite Experiences on the Island of Hawaii
- Wander through lava tubes, drive around a crater and discover the legends of volcano goddess Pele at Volcanoes National Park
- Wind through lush rainforest on your way to the sheer plunge of Akaka Falls
- Set sail at sunset and snorkel with Manta Rays off the Kona coast. Or, stay dry and take a submarine voyage
- Immerse yourself in Hawaiian culture at Puuhonua o Honaunau, once a place of refuge for those who had violated sacred laws
- Experience Hawaiian hospitality at a luau – we recommend Haleo Luau and Island Breeze Luau
The Island of Hawaii From a Different Perspective
- Watch an island being made, by air or sea, as Kilauea's fire meets the waters of the Pacific.
- Discover nature's own sculpture garden at Lava Tree State Park on the island of Hawaii's eastern tip
- Embark on a deep-sea fishing expedition
- Enjoy dinner and take in the sunset on a cruise
- Drive to the summit of Mauna Kea for matchless views stretching across the horizon and an incredible stargazing experience
Offbeat Adventures on the Island of Hawaii
- Explore the rich farmland born from the island's volcanic heart. A visit to a coffee plantation is a must
- Discover Hawaiian green sea turtles at Punaluu Black Sand Beach
- Wander through the historic seaside village of Kailua. Stop by the Hulihee Palace, once home to Hawaiian monarchy
- Kailua Beach is fun for the whole family, and close to nearby restaurants
- Visit the Puako Petroglyph Preserve and try to decode lava rock etchings dating back nearly a millenium
Let us help you plan the perfect Hawaii vacation
Need a place to stay? We can help. Want to experience the true essence of the islands? We have activities for that. Looking for a great deal on a car? You've come to the right place. Travel Protection? Check. Want a great deal on all of the above? We have that covered.
To plan your trip with the Hawaii experts, call 800-742-9244
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
With an unmatched location on the iconic lava rocks of the Big Island's Kona Coast, Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay offers a captivating blend of adventure, culture, heritage, and authentic Hawaiian hospitality.
- Mountain View
- 15% spa discount
- Kids 17 & younger stay FREE
- Ask about Honeymoon amenities