LeaderBoard Spot

Toronto Travel Information

Toronto Vacations & Travel Tips

When to Go

Toronto has a warm summer (June to mid-September) filled with festivals and events, making it the best time to visit. July and August can get muggy, however. Many visitor-oriented facilities, attractions and accommodations reduce hours or close outside of summer, but the ones that remain open almost always have reduced rates and smaller crowds. Fall (mid-September to late October) is crisp and beautiful - all of Ontario is renowned for its autumn colours. Toronto gets downright frosty in winter (November to March), with cold spells averaging between 2°C and -10°C (35°F and 14°F). Luckily, indoor arts (symphonies, theater, opera) and sporting events (especially ice hockey) are at their liveliest during the snowy season.

Region: Canada

Featured Toronto Hotel

The Fairmont Royal York

The Fairmont Royal York

Our 4-Star classification designates those properties with well-appointed, deluxe accommodations, extensive amenities and comprehensive guest services. Expect attention to detail and a warm and hospitable staff ready to cater to your needs. These superb properties offer a truly refined getaway.
Financial District

Whether you're in Toronto for a meeting or simply to relax and take in the sights, this landmark hotel has everything you need.

Book Now
See All Toronto Hotels >

Getting Around

Despite its size, Toronto is a very walkable city and its grid layout makes it relatively simple to navigate. It has a good subway, bus and streetcar system, operating under the umbrella of the Toronto Transit Commission.

Traffic congestion and expensive parking makes driving a better bet for out-of-town excursions. Toronto's taxis are reliable, and in summer sweaty pedicabbies trawl the theater and Yorkville districts. Ferries will take you to the Toronto Islands, and GO Trains leave from Union Station for points throughout the Toronto suburbs.

Deluxe bicycle rickshaws pedalled by fit young women and men can be hired around downtown during summer. Fares for longer trips should be negotiated with the driver before boarding. Tip generously.

Taxis can be flagged on the street or you can find taxi ranks outside of hotels, museums, shopping malls and entertainment venues. Reliable companies include Crown Taxi (tel: 416 240 0000), Diamond Taxicab and Royal Taxi (tel: 416 777 9222), which has a fleet of wheelchair-accessible taxis.

The city center is pedestrian friendly, with leafy residential neighborhoods as well as retail strips.

Toronto has 50km (31mi) of on-street bicycle lanes and over 25mi of marked routes for bicycles. In-line skaters can use sidewalks, but it is illegal for cyclists to do so. Bicycles are allowed on some, but not all, ferries to the Toronto Islands; restrictions usually apply during peak periods.

The main subway lines are the crosstown Bloor-Danforth line, and the U-shaped Yonge-University-Spadina line which bends through Union Station. Stations have clearly marked Designated Waiting Areas (DWAs) monitored by security cameras and equipped with a bench, pay phone and an intercom link to the station manager; they are located where the subway guard's car stops along the platform

Streetcars are slower than the subway, but they stop more often (usually every block or two). Streetcars display their route number and final destination on both the front and rear cars. Routes are numbered in the 500s and streetcars roll on St Clair Ave and College, Dundas, Queen and King Sts (all of which run east-west). Bathurst St and Spadina Ave streetcars mainly run north-south, then turn at the lakefront west toward the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) grounds (511 Bathurst) or east toward Union Station (510 Spadina). The 509 Harbourfront streetcar travels from Union Station along Lake Shore Blvd west to the CNE grounds.

Entry Requirements

Citizens of dozens of countries - including the USA, most Western European and Commonwealth countries, as well as Mexico, Japan, South Korea and Israel - don't need visas to enter Canada for stays of up to 180 days. US permanent residents are also exempt.

Nationals of around 150 other countries, including South Africa and China, need to apply to the Canadian visa office in their home country for a temporary resident visa (TRV). The website maintained by Citizenship & Immigration Canada (www.cic.gc.ca) has full details, including office addresses and the latest requirements. A separate visa is required if you plan to study or work in Canada.


Canadian Dollar

Travel Tips and Tools

Practical information to assist you before and during your trip.

US Cities and Canada Travel Information