If you're looking for nightlife and a fun beach vibe, make the island of Oahu your first stop. Hawaii's most populous island is home to the city of Honolulu and Waikiki Beach, one of Hawaii's most popular resort destinations. Here you can find nightclubs and live music, quirky beach bars, fine dining and shopping - and an excellent beach, of course! History buffs can learn more about the kings and queens of Hawaii's rich royal past, or visit Pearl Harbor and tour the USS Arizona Memorial.
Oahu's attractions don't end at Waikiki. The North Shore of the island is a surfer's paradise, with world-famous surfing beaches that host many of the world's top competitors. Less developed than the more cosmopolitan Waikiki, this area is home to some luxurious, secluded resorts, perfect for the discerning traveler searching for a quiet getaway.
Our 5 Favorite Experiences on Oahu
- Pay your respects to America's fallen heroes at Pearl Harbor
- Explore the traditions of the region at the Polynesian Cultural Center
- Hike to the top of Diamond Head, an extinct volcanic crater, for magnificent views of Oahu’s shoreline
- Learn to surf on Waikiki Beach and enjoy the dual benefits of mellow waves and panoramic views
- Experience Hawaiian hospitality at a luau – we recommend the Paradise Cove Luau, Aha'Aina The Royal Luau, Chief's Luau and Germaine's Luau
Oahu From a Different Perspective
- Take in the island from above on a helicopter excursion
- Explore the wonders of the deep while snorkeling in Hanauma Bay. Or, stay dry and enjoy the view from a glass-bottom submarine
- Zipline over Ka'a'awa Valley, explore iconic filming sites on horseback, or ride an ATV on Kualoa Ranch
- Enjoy the vibrant hues of sunset and views of the city lights aboard a dinner cruise
- Take your pick of water activities – you can jet ski, snorkel, scuba dive, or kayak. Or, soar above the ocean wonders while parasailing
Oahu Like a Local
- Stop for lunch at the North Shore Shrimp Shack. Not traveling that way? Try local specialties like lau lau (pork wrapped in taro leaves), poke (raw marinated tuna) or loco moco (rice topped with a burger patty, egg and gravy)
- Hike the Lanikai Pillbox for a spectacular view of the sunrise
- Pack a picnic and watch Waikiki's Friday night fireworks from Ala Moana Beach Park or the beach between the Hilton Hawaiian Village® and Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
- Spend an afternoon at at Kailua Beach
- Ride Waimea Bay's monster waves
Let us help you plan the perfect Hawaii vacation
Need a place to stay? We can help. Want to experience the true essence of the islands? We have activities for that. Looking for a great deal on a car? You've come to the right place. Travel Protection? Check. Want a great deal on all of the above? We have that covered.
To plan your trip with the Hawaii experts, call 800-742-9244
The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, Waikiki
With its rich history, strong ambassador loyalty, and connection to Hawaiian culture, this historic Honolulu hotel is spectacularly located on the famed Waikiki Beach.
- Historic Room
- 15% spa discount
- Kids 17 & younger stay FREE
- Ask about Honeymoon amenities